How the 1RM calculator works
To use our 1RM calculator, follow these steps.
- Pick a weight that is a reasonable challenge for you.
- After a brief warm up, remembering to stretch, lift that weight as many times as you can.
- When you reach muscular failure (the point when your working muscle is fully fatigued to the extent that it can no longer complete another repetition of a movement), slowly lower the weight.
- Type the weight into the calculator, in the box that matches the number of reps you accomplished.
- Read your one rep max from the top.
Note: If using free-weights, you will need a spotter!
You’ll notice how much easier it is to use the bench press calculator, as opposed to just trying to lift a weight that you suppose is close to your max bench weight. Using a calculator eliminates the guesswork.